BeardedJamesBeardedJames

Main Art Favorites Reviews Stats

Lost Lost

The animation was a little too short all-round really. Sure we're slightly attached to the child because we all miss those days as a youth playing with our imagination, but that alone isn't enough to particularly endear me to the character. As such, I struggle to empathise with his plight. The same could be said of the "chase". While it was, technically the perfect recipe for a dramatic chase (all the right music, a scary monster, a dead end with no way out etc. etc.) it felt too short. There was little to no build up, no sense of urgency. However I've read in the description that this was a study piece and I realise that you were probably under pressure to have this completed so I feel like allowances can be made.

Despite all that though the style was quite nice, very macabre and minimalist, although while that worked in your favour for most on the animation, I think greater detail and embellishment of the imagination sequences would've helped them stand out and really given a much greater sense of wonder. I also struggled with the concepts a little I think. I can't quite grasp why his mother, in his eyes, suddenly became a monster... But I feel like that's a matter of artistic perspective so once again, allowances can be made.

Finally, I realised a somewhat major plot-hole in the story that, I'll be honest, cost you a star (just because it's so obvious I feel like everyone should spot it). Why would his mother leave the house in search of him, only to leave a note saying "Wait for me"? Suuure you can justify it that she wrote it in case he got home and she was still out looking for him, but quite frankly I'd argue that'd be a pretty weak reason. What child would leave their house to wander the dark woods in search of their mother?

Tl;Dr

I liked it. In theory, it was the perfect recipe for an interesting story with an art style that matched it pretty dang perfectly. Let down by it's length and one major plot-hole, but still good.

3 stars, and a well deserved 2nd place. Congratulations!

Z-B-R responds:

We are encouraged to make shorter films here at RIT in order to challenge ourselves, not to mention we have to do everything ourselves, which usually means we are pretty strapped for time. The mother leaving a note things is actually not something I came up with, but rather something that happened to me as a child a lot. I used to go play in the park a lot and would sometimes lose track of time. My mom would leave notes on the table when I got home telling me where she had went if she had stepped out. A Boy who has trouble distinguishing reality from fantasy and fancies himself an adventurer is the exact type of character that would leave his home in search of his mother. Lastly, the mother's note is a rather minor plot point, so even if there was a problem with it I seriously doubt it seriously detracts from the piece.

I do agree about the length. I wish I could have added a few more scenes for character acting, but what's done is done.

Glad you liked it, in the end!

Central Bwankers Central Bwankers

This video had Money Bazookas, Zombie banks and Raptor Jesus.... it's safe to say I've made the right choice by staying home today.

Yet another fantastical video my dear Lobster, (as if I expected any less) although after seeing this I do ask myself, "What's Fernando's opinion on how to save our economy?" ;)

Sexual-Lobster responds:

i suspect it would involve increasing yoghurt exports.

Lollipop Chainsaw Parody Lollipop Chainsaw Parody

I can say with the utmost certainty that I loved that video....

However I feel that any attempt to ever "review" it would be totally and completely overshadowed by the astounding one given by Darkseany...

I-I... I just... I'm not worthy D:

Although I can point out that I didn't give you 5 stars because I would've felt like too much of a rabid fanboy and I've only just seen your work soooo - 0.5 sorry (I'm such a bitch amirite? ;D)

SpeedoSausage responds:

Well go watch more of my shit then, sillybuns!